Middle School FAQs
How Can I Help My Child When They Enter The Middle School?
- Start talking about the difference between elementary and middle school early--and honestly
- Give your child more responsibilities for decision-making tasks at home as preparation for increased deadlines in middle school
- Supplement schoolwork with additional reading and writing projects at home in readiness for lengthier school assignments
- Talk about the fun of changing rooms and teachers several times a day. Explain that each class is a separate subject
- Help your child understand that students have to adapt to different teachers, not the other way around
- Visit the middle school several times and logon to the web page frequently.
- Attend all new school orientations. Make the transition seem like an adventure and a step forward in your youngster's education.
- Discuss the fact that your child is moving from being the "top dog" to the bottom of the ladder---preparation makes it easier
- Make a list together of your child's expectations for middle school. Make a plan to ensure that the expectations are met.
- Help your middle school student understand that doing the "little things" right like being to school and class on time, having homework complete, and always being kind to others will help insure success at RCMS.